Call for Entries
Mid-Southern Watercolorists, Inc.
54th Annual Juried Exhibition
ENTRY DEADLINE – NOVEMBER 10, 2023
Exhibition Dates: March 8, 2024 through April 26, 2024
Opening Reception & Awards- Friday, March 8, 2024 6:00 – 8:00pm
Awards presented at 5:30pm
William F. Laman Public Library-Main Branch
2801 Orange Street
North Little Rock, Arkansas 72114
Awards over $5,000 are anticipated.
Online Juried Shows
The www.onlinejuriedshows.com will handle all the entries.
PLEASE NOTE-MSW reserves the right to change the exhibition to “online only” should circumstances call for such.
Juror - ALICIA FARRIS NWS, WHS, WFWS, SWS, SW, MOWS, STLWS
Painter of Life
Alicia Farris has been painting professionally and teaching for 20+ years. Alicia loves to share her knowledge and passion and gains incredible inspiration when she teaches her workshops.
The personalities and flavors of people that she encounters in day-to-day life definitely inspire her work. Even if it’s for trying to just capture a mood, she usually has one hand on her camera when she’s in a crowd. She tries to recreate not just an image, but mood, light, and colors that capture her imagination. Alicia likes to isolate what seems common and try to recreate it in a different light, all the while, providing a source of emotion for the viewer.
Her work has won numerous awards and has been exhibited in galleries and private collections throughout the world.
- Membership dues must be paid on or before November 10, 2023.
- Entry deadline date is Friday, November 10, 2023.
- Notification of acceptance/decline by email by December 15, 2023.
- Shipment of accepted entries to Laman Library must arrive between February 13-16, 2024 (instructions in this prospectus.)
- Hand-deliver accepted paintings to Laman Library on Monday, February 19, 2024, between 10:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m.
- Opening Reception & Awards, Friday, March 8, 2024, 5:30-8:00p.m.. Exhibition will be open to the public March 8 through April 26, 2024.
- Pick up paintings at Laman Library, Monday, April 29, 2024 from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Please note that artist’s statements are due to the exhibition chair no later than January 19, 2024.
- Artists - This exhibition is open to artists anywhere who are current members of Mid-Southern Watercolorists, Inc. (MSW), or who become members as a condition of entering the exhibition.
- Artist’s original work only. No copies or likeness of work including photographs, published works or references not attributable to the artist are eligible. Work painted under the guidance of a teacher is not permitted.
- No work previously exhibited in a juried MSW show is eligible.
- MSW reserves the right to refuse any work submitted.
- Paintings must be on paper or Yupo. Media may be watercolor, acrylic, casein, gouache, egg tempera. Collage materials, if used, must be the artist’s original work and must meet the media criteria above. No pastels, digital images, or any form of print or reproductions.
- Size - There is no minimum size. However, the maximum unframed size for entries should not exceed 44”. (See Framing Requirements later in this document.)
Entry Information and Fees Deadline is November 10, 2023.
- This is a members-only exhibition show. Membership must be current or your entry will be declined. Dues are $40. If you are not already a member of MSW, pay membership fees online when you submit your images and immediately mail the completed membership application provided on the last page of this prospectus.
- Artists may submit one or two paintings. The entry fee for the exhibition is $40 for up to two entries. To enter, go to www.midsouthernwatercolorists.com, click on the link to www.onlinejuriedshows.com and follow the directions in the next section.
- No digital enhancement is allowed; image should represent the painting.
- Please refer to tutorials and videos at www.onlinejuriedshows.com for assistance with photographing, uploading and resizing images.
- Please add firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com to your safe senders list to ensure notifications are received.
Requirements for Digital Images
Your digital image will need to follow the following requirements: Entry form must be filled out in its entirety. List sizes up to the nearest inch. Submitted images must not include matting or framing. Crop the photos to include only the artwork. Be sure your images are right-side-up. Before uploading your images, make sure they are smaller than 4MB, but at least 1920 pixels on the longest side at 72 dpi. Images must be in JPEG format, AT sRGB color space. Help in photographing your work and properly sizing your images can be found at www.OnlineJuriedShows.com/help.aspx. If you need help entering your images or are unable to, write to onlinejuriedshows.com/Contact.aspx. Please add Services@OnlineJuriedShows.com and Manager@OnlineJuriedShows.com to your safe senders list to ensure notifications are received.
Framing Requirements (for all accepted works)
- Entries must be framed and under Plexiglas.
- A completed Painting Label Form (see below) must be securely affixed to the back of the framed painting, upper right side.
- The frame must be sturdy enough to support the weight of the artwork without buckling the Plexiglas. Frames, whether wood or metal, must arrive in good condition with corners firmly fixed. The committee reserves the right to reject frames that arrive in poor condition.
- Frames must be a maximum of two inches wide and must be plain and undecorated. Metal sectional frames are allowable, however NO VIVID COLORS such as red, yellow, etc. will be accepted. Poster frames are not allowable.
- Works must arrive ready for hanging by Laman Library. Two “D” rings should be secured by screws in the back, one on the left and one on the right side of the frame. The “D” rings should be positioned one-fourth of the distance down from the top of the frame on each side. For example, if the frame measures 20” from top to bottom, each “D” ring should be positioned 5” from the top.
- The Frame should include attached wire for hanging.
- ONLY Single or double mats will be accepted, and the following conditions apply:
- All matting must be white or off white, only.
- Mats must have clean cuts that are even and not overcut in the corners.
- No colored lining will be accepted.
- Paintings that are mounted without matting, or floated, shall be mounted on a background that is white or off-white.
- There shall be no debris or loose material beneath the Plexiglas.
- Diptychs and triptychs must be mounted within a single frame.
All reasonable care will be given to the works submitted, but neither MSW, nor Laman Library will assume any liability for damage or deterioration before, during or after the exhibition. Artists should carry their own insurance.
- The Juror will be the sole judge as to which works are selected for the Exhibition and will determine all award winners.
- All work accepted by the Juror for this Exhibition will be displayed at the William F. Laman Public Library from Friday, March 8 until Friday, April 26, 2024.
- MSW and Laman Library will have the right to reproduce accepted entries in our catalogs, press releases, Internet websites, social media sites and similar informational outlets, for publicity purposes.
- Painting sales will be handled by the artist. No commission will be charged. The cost of shipping for purchased paintings will be covered by the buyer and/or the artist. Prices must match the catalog.
- All work must remain in the Exhibition for the full duration of the Exhibition period; this applies also to paintings sold.
- All paintings must be picked up on the scheduled day after the Exhibition closes. If you cannot pick up your painting, you must make arrangements for someone to pick up for you.
- Shipping of accepted paintings will be addressed as follows AND MUST INCLUDE INSIDE, A PREPAID RETURN SHIPPING LABEL: Please make sure your shipping box is in good condition.
c/o William F. Laman Public Library-Main Branch
2801 Orange Street
North Little Rock, AR 72114
PLEASE DO NOT USE “POPCORN” IN THE PACKAGING!!!!
Checklist for entering the MSW Annual Exhibition
- Online Entry fee paid ($40 for one or two entries)
- Current Membership paid ($40 for new membership or for renewal if membership dues are not current)
- Entry form, completed and included
- Make a copy of all information for your file
** Neither the exhibition committee nor the venue will be responsible for removing or storing paintings not collected on the appropriate day.
Send all inquiries to Kathy Kemp at firstname.lastname@example.org